Sunday, February 19, 2012

2/13/2012

Weight: 225

Exercise: Work with upper body weights after a 5-6 minuter warm-up on the elliptical trainer. I get my pulse rate up to my aerobic level (70% of max heart rate) and then go immediately to my first weight exercise. My weight workouts are not optimized to gain muscle mass because between reps ,I try to keep my pulse rate higher than 60% of max and up into the aerobic range.  This is difficult after I have been exercising consistently (6-7 days a week for several weeks)because my recovery time is much shorter.  That means I go from say 70% to 60% quickly between reps.. I do wait at least 30 seconds between reps even though my rate my fall below  60% so the muscles I'm working on can clear the lactic acid that builds up. After  about 10-15 minutes into the workout it is easier to stay above the 60% level. Many times I experience a combination of some corollary of Parkinson's Law ( work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion) and Murphy's Law (if anything can go wrong it will) as applies to working out - "If there is only one other person in the gym they will just be getting on the machine I need to use next AND they will do 50 reps using little weight."  I want to ask them why are they are using the machines that way but I mind my own business.

Toward the end of the weight lifting routine my heart may get up to 76-80% of max heart rate during some exercises. I do two sets of 12 reps. on each exercise. If I was trying to maximize muscle growth I would do 3-4 sets of 8 reps until I built up to 12 reps then I would increase the weight until I reached maximum fatigue at 8 reps on set 3 or 4.  But I try to make my weight lifting fat burning and aerobic. If you've followed my blog you know that 60-70% heart rate is when your body burns  fat.

After my last weight exercise I get on the elipical and get my heart rate up to 82-83% and then I walk/job for about 10-15 minutes at a rate that lets my heart rate come down slowly to about 60-65% and then I do a 8-10 minute stretch.. My work out time this day was 1hr 4 min. My avg heart rate during the workout was about 62%.

In case your wondering I use a Garmin Forerunner 405. to keep up with my workout statistics.

No comments:

google-site-verification: google6c814d78054d23fc.html