Saturday, January 21, 2012

Entry 1/21/2012

Weight: 226
Food 1/20/2012 :
Breakfast: Bowl of Cheerios, Coffee with 3 tsp creamer, 3 tsp Splenda, 10 blueberries, wedge of pineapple and 7 oz. Skim milk with 2 tsp of Beneficial fiber.
Snack: 4 almonds, 10 walnut halves
Lunch: Cup of beans, 1/2 cup raw broccoli and carrots and 6 oz. Skin milk
Snack: Medium Apple 5 walnut halves
Dinner: 2 baked small chicken thighs and drumsticks, 6 oz wild salmon, 2 cups mixed cooked vegetables, 6 cherry tomatoes (mostly broccoli, carrots, sweet peas) 8 oz Skim milk with 2 tsp of Beneficial fiber. 2 oz Rose' wine.
Snack: 20 blueberries

Got up to 228 from 214 in late October, after slowing down on exercise, when it turned too cool for me to walk outside. Exercise consisted  of maybe 1-2 weight lifting days with walking warm up and cool down each week. Not nearly enough for me since, I sit at desk for most of my day. Started back in earnest this past week after getting my blood work report. More on this later.

This past week , I'm back to my routine of 45 minutes weight lifting which includes ALL muscle groups with 15 minutes total warm and cool down walking; next 2 days walking (combination elliptical and track) for 35 minutes, with 10-15 warm up and cool down; and back to weight lifting the following day.

I wear a pulse monitor and during all workouts I warm up slowly to my 70% heart rate in approximately 5 minutes. On weight lifting days I move between sets so that my heart rate does not fall below 65% and peaks to 80% during most sets, sometimes 85% when working large muscle groups like back and legs. I follow with a cool down walk  of about 10 minutes to 65% and then stretch.  On the 1st day after weight lifting, after the warm up, I walk so that my pulse rate peaks at 80% and goes back down to 70% in intervals all during the workout. I then cool down to 65% in about 8-10 minutes followed by stretching. On the 2nd after the weights, I do essentially the same except during 1-2 intervals  I'll get my heart rate up to 85%. Studies indicate intervals are better than keeping a constant heart rate. I think that is especially a good idea as we get older.

No comments:

google-site-verification: google6c814d78054d23fc.html