Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Entry 4/15/09

Weight: 231 lbs. That's 1.5 lbs less than yesterday if you're following. But, that is not all fat. After I work out with weights, I usually lose a pound or two which is mostly glycogen. Some of it could be hydration even though I increase my water consumption beginning early in the day in anticipation of my work out and I drink plenty of water during and after the workout. Glycogen is a readily available source of energy stored in muscles and called upon when the muscle begins to approach an anaerobic (lack of oxygen)condition. This state of "glycolysis" produces lactic acid which causes the burning sensation you feel in the muscles when approaching exhaustion.

Breakfast: Raisin Bran with 6 oz. of skim milk. Raisin Bran is not the best cereal to eat for weight loss, but, I haven't eaten it in a while and I wanted some. It is a better bad choice for breakfast food. Cup of coffee with creamer and sweetener. Omeaga 3 capsule and Alpha Lipoic Acid (antioxidant) capsule, and vitamin.

Snack: 15 blueberries, a few peanuts

Lunch: Grilled chicken salad with Ranch Dressing. Iced tea to drink Actually with as much ranch I put on I should order it and get a salad to go with it. I probably had about 400 calories in the ranch. However over 90% comes from fat and about 6% from carbs. The concern over fat is overrated. If your body is in a fat burning configuration chemically, the fat is readily converted into energy. I've discussed the chemicals before. Since I've been eating like this my cholesterol is lower than any point in my life. I'm not advocating that everyone eat the same way if they have a cholesterol problem, but if nothing else is working you might try it. Much of it is genetics.

Snack: About 10 walnuts

Dinner: Charro Grilled chicken (about 8-10 oz. dark meat), beans, grilled vegetables. No tortillas Diet coke.

Exercise: Was going to walk/jog but I went to a Tea Party in Plano. It was energizing. There was two different groups along Preston Road, which is one of the main feeds out of North Dallas into Plano and Frisco. One was at the intersection of Park and Preston and the other at Parker and Preston. Park and Parker are main east-west cross-streets. There was 500-600 people at Park I'm told. I was at Parker and there was about 300-400 people total on all four corners of the intersection. It was between 5pm-7pm and probably 5000-6000 cars passed by. Out of all those I only saw 2 give a thumbs down. Everyone else was honking horns, giving thumbs up and shouting out support. Many had signs and flags on their cars. I met and talked with a lawyer, doctor, 2 teachers, an IT manager from Frito Lay, an electrician and some others. It was a spontaneous event. Everyone was just like me, they found out where everyone was meeting through the internet or word of mouth. Everyone just showed up not knowing what to expect, nothing was organized. Most people had signs. I didn't. Next time I will. As people gathered there was a growing esprit de corps. It was the first time most of us had ever "demonstrated". There was several jokes about us being old hippies. One lady with the Conservative Republicans of Plano came around with forms collecting email addresses and information about what people wanted to see happen next and how we wanted to participate. It felt good to get out and do something even if only to encourage each other to do more.

2 comments:

FatLossGuy said...

Even with your ups and downs, you seem really determined to lose the weight. I'm impressed!

Phil said...

I went to a tea party in Louisville yesterday also and missed my work out. I will try and make up for it before Monday. One of the local TV stations reported 1500 at the protest. It was worth the effort. I just hope Homeland Security doesn't put me on the watch list. I am pro-life,against illegal immigration and am a war veteran. They are careful not to profile others but have no trouble profiling us now.

google-site-verification: google6c814d78054d23fc.html