Friday, April 17, 2009

Entry 4/17/09

Weight: 231.5 lbs

Breakfast: Two fried eggs, sausage patty and 2 slices of whole wheat toast. Coffee with creamer, sweetener and creamer. Omega 3 capsule (1200mg), Alpha Lipoic Acid (antioxidant), and vitamin.

Traditional nutritionist would frown on my breakfast choice but my cholesterol and triglyceride levels are better than they have ever been and are now safely in normal range. In the past,even when I reduced fats and limited eggs and the other high cholesterol foods my levels were slightly over normal. Since I've reduced carbs and continued exercise, although spotty at times, my levels improved. I'm not advising you to do the same without monitoring by your doctor. However, keep in mind that doctors for the most part only fix you after something goes wrong. Many don't have the time to keep up with new studies or are biased by their medical training. More and more are catching on though. Some of the cholesterol drugs have bad side effects so its worthwhile to try a diet adjustment to see if it works for you. The genius of my conversion to the high protein diet occurred after reading "Protein Power" by Drs. Michael and Mary Dan Eades several years ago. I slowly began to incorporate their advice after reading other studies on the subject. While the Drs. sell them , I have never taken any of their supplements. I do try to limit fats but I don't go way out of my way to do so. Remember weight loss = Calories in - Calories out.

Lunch: Turkey (4 oz.) & cheese sandwich on whole wheat and 8 oz. skim milk.

Snack: 8 walnuts

Dinner: Blackened salmon (6 oz.) on bed of rice, steamed broccoli, and Italian green beans. I ate about 2 teaspoons of rice just because it was there - that's the way weight management gets sabotaged but that was a small violation. I did resist my wife temptation of her apple pie ala mode with butterscotch sauce. I know it was butterscotch because I sampled a little on my finger (redneck).

Snack: Two teaspoons of cookies and cream ice cream. Was having visions of the wife's desert.

Exercise: My plan to have a weight workout was postponed because a dear family friend was now taking visitors at the hospital. Get well Gaye!

No comments:

google-site-verification: google6c814d78054d23fc.html