Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Entry 2/18/09

Weight: 236 lbs I am well on the way to establishing a solid plateau.

Remember your scales are not just weighing fat. In order to lose one pound of fat you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in. Generally, it's only possible to lose 1-2 pounds of fat per week. When you follow a very low calorie diet that causes your weight to drop 10 pounds in 7 days, it's physically impossible for all of that to be fat. What you're really losing is water, glycogen, and muscle.

It is supposed to be 72 degrees here today. Good day for a long walk!

Breakfast: Two boiled eggs, two grapes (they were sitting out so I "grazed"), two cups of coffee, cocoa, creamer, and sweetener. Two fish oil capsules, vitamin, 1 DHEA tablet.

Snack: Bowl of Kellogg Special k with 5 oz. of skim milk. Twelve blueberries. I've got to make a run back to WalMart. I hope they have more of those great blueberries.

Lunch: Five oz. Salmon steak (unintentionally cooked in microwave. That's what happens when you don't properly set the defrost setting.) It was good though. I didn't overcook it and browned it in canola oil. Two cups of steamed mixed vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli and carrots) and tspn of margarine. Six oz. of Soy milk.

Snack: Apple and six blueberries

Dinner: Baked chicken 8 oz., salad with ranch dressing, 5 baby carrots and 6 oz. of skim milk.

Exercise: Walked/jogged 2.31 mi in 37 min, 17 sec. including warm up and cool down. Average heart rate was 127 bpm and max was 159 bpm. All per my Garmin Forerunner 405. I don't normally go over 144 bpm but I felt good and full of energy, so I pushed it up a notch. I didn't have shin splints as bad as I usually do when I don't exercise regularly. I shortened by stride, took faster steps and landed slightly more on the front of my foot. It helped. Shin splints are supposed to occur because of the relative weakness of the muscles on the anterior of the lower leg compared to those in the calf. I try to exercise those muscles but its hard for me to pick up weights with my toes. Actually while lying down, I have someone resist while I flex my toes toward my head.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good work out and I did notice how you had your heart rate up there. I was on an AMT yesterday and had mine peak at 148. I guess you and I are doing good for old dudes. Good advice on shin splints. So odd that I was asked about shin splints last night at work and I told the member about some stretching exercise that would help and some strentgh exercises also. He was a new jogger and I told him that it was part of the process of being new at running. He also had problems with side stitches and I told him to stop running and place his hand into the right side of his belly and push up. Inhale and exhale evenly as he pushes up. Both of these problems are usually encountered in the early stages of beginners to jogging are running. Keep up the good work and thanks for the blog.

Jerry said...

Thanks to Phil for his comments. I'll have to remember that remedy for stitches. I don't have a problem with them but if my jogging partners ever have them I'll know what to do. Sounds like you had a good workout. I'm 61 ....how old are you? :)

google-site-verification: google6c814d78054d23fc.html