Thursday, February 5, 2009

Entry 2/5/09

Breakfast: Bowl of oatmeal, slice of whole wheat toast, 2 cups of coffee with cocoa, sweetener, creamer.

I usually cook the oatmeal, but since my wife just returned to town, I let her do it this morning. I am a very considerate husband. My 5 yr old granddaughter came back to ask for "Meme" how to prepare the oatmeal. I told her 2 cups of oatmeal and 4 cups of water (I add a 1/2 cup of skim milk while cooking also, but thought that might overload Kylie's memory). My instructions were translated to 4 cups of oatmeal. Would you like to come over for a bowl of oatmeal? We have plenty.

I try to eat oatmeal a couple of times a week. It helps lower cholesterol and the chance of colon cancer.

Snack: 3 walnuts

Lunch: 6 oz. Salmon steak fried in tablespoon of Canola oil, steamed broccoli and 7 oz. skim milk.

Exercise: 2 miles in 30 min, 17 sec. 2.22 miles total in 35.22 min. (cool down and part of the time I forgot to stop time after I stopped walking) Peak Heart Rate 147 bpm., Avg HR 118 bpm. My total ascent was 539 ft. and my total descent was 550 ft. That means I am now underground 11 ft.! Guess I over did it. All measurements by the Garmin Forerunner 405. It's really a good idea to have a pulse monitor when exercising especially as we age. While those with a chest band are better you can purchase a wristwatch type that will do the job. Here's one from Body by Jake for $40:


The Forerunner 405 was a gift from my wife and kids. It is 80 percent useful and 20% toy. I love the toy part. Here's a description from the Garmin web site:

Long runs, tempo runs, speed drills. You expect a lot from your body…and from your training gear. Meet Forerunner 405. This GPS-enabled sport watch tracks your training, then wirelessly sends your data to your computer. The ultimate in training technology, its sleek design features a touch bezel that lets you quickly scroll and select features on the run.

Heart Monitor Chest strapWrist Device

Dinner: 2 Pork Chops, 2 bites of hash browns, salad with Ranch dressing, 2 bites of toast, small bite of grits. The wife and I ended up at Waffle House after driving around town for 20 minutes. She went to exercise class and called me on the way home - "I don't want to come in so come out when I blow the horn". Yes ma'am. She was wound up about exercise class and office politics and I thought she had a place in mind as she was driving. As we made different turns I was trying to guess where we were going to eat. When we drove past the turn I thought she would take I eliminated the last place on my list. After driving another 2 blocks, she exclaimed:"Where am I going?" That's when she asked the dreaded question; "Where do you want to go?" Dreaded, because as I go through the 100 places she either rejects them outright or by the inflection of her voice signals that she doesn't want to go there. We finally agreed on a place - Big Easy's, a New Orleans style Bistro. As we walk up to the counter, they announced they closed at 8 o'clock. It was 8:00 and 1 microsecond. In fairness it was 8:05. After agreeing on another place, I was informed that we had just driven by it. Being on a service road, we would have to drive 20 miles to get back to it. We passed by our favorite Mexican place, but I knew I couldn't resist eating two bowls of chips. To shorten the story we ended up at Waffle House.

No comments:

google-site-verification: google6c814d78054d23fc.html