Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Entry 2/4/09

Breakfast: 2 poached egg, 2 slices whole wheat toast, 2 cups of coffee with cocoa, creamer, sweetener. I prefer to drink coffee without the cocoa, but cocoa is a good antioxidant and it dilates the blood vessels thereby lowering heart rate. I poach the eggs in the microwave, a tricky proposition without the contraption by wife bought. It has to cups with a top that snaps closed like a waffle iron. If the egg explodes it is contained. I microwave it at 60% power for 1 min 50 sec.. They don't explode. Your microwave will be different. I found that setting by trial and error.

In 1995 I worked at a company that did engineering work for Turbo Chef. Turbo Chef was an oven that used high speed heated air and microwaves to cook food-such as a perfect pizza in 50 seconds. I had trouble controlling my weight there because the food testers where constantly performing cooking test and coming up with the perfect setting for each food. They cooked scrimp, steak, lobster, cakes, pastries, pies, chicken ....every kind of food. The entire facility was filled with the aroma of good food and it had to be eaten or thrown away. I can't stand to see food go to waste.

While writing this I Googled Turbo Chef. Wow they have really grown. I designed microwave feeds and waveguides for them. The guy that invented the oven was a friend of mine, Earl Winkelman, one of the smartest men I know. He, 3 other guys and I co-founded another company in 1973. TC is making residential ovens now. It use only high speed heated air to cook. Looks like they had to take the microwaves out to control the cost. The problem is that while a convectional oven and microwave oven are cheap, the engineering issues make combining the two very expensive, only affordable in a commercial environment. I copied a picture off their web site. 3 is the heated air moving at about 88 ft. per second and 5 is the microwave burst.



Lunch: Ham & cheese on wheat with mayo & mustard and 8 oz. Soy milk.

Snack: 2 walnuts, Medium apple

Dinner: Boston Market 5 oz. turkey breast, creamed spinach, green beans and the top crust off the cornbread. Water with lemon to drink. My bride is home!

1 comment:

Amie said...

Thanks for your comment Jerry, good reminders!

About the chocolate--when I get a chocolate craving, I usually drink my Swiss Miss diet cocoa (25 calories) and that curbs it pretty well. I'm not a coffee drinker--if I was, your solution would be a good one! Though I can't imagine takin' a daily 'chaw' of chocolate. ;)

Have a great day.

google-site-verification: google6c814d78054d23fc.html