Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Entry 10/15/08

Weight:

218.5 lbs. That is 1.18 lbs above my 2nd revised goal for this date. (Read earlier entries for a discussion of "2nd revised goal".) I gained 1.18 lbs since yesterday. I did minimal exercise yesterday. I only walked .3 of a mile. What's the explanation for the 1 pound gain? I know part of it is hydration level. Water makes up about 60% of total body mass. Water weighs 8.3 pounds per gallon. Sixteen ounces of water is approximately equal to 1 pound. So, a tall glass of water taken away then added to your body can swing your weight by 2 pounds. I sweat heavily during exercise so when I don't exercise like yesterday, my body is probably trying to retain water in preparation for the next heavy loss.

Another factor that can affect daily weight is glycogen. Glycogen is like a fuel tank of carbohydrate converted into a simple sugar and is a quickly available energy source. Some glycogen is stored in the liver and some is stored the muscles themselves. This energy reserve weighs more than a pound and it contains 3-4 pounds of water when it's stored. If you perform strenuous exercise this glycogen is the first source of energy used because it is readily available. This is why you become exhausted if you continue the strenuous activity - the glycogen is depleted and carbohydrate or fat conversion into energy takes some time. It's normal to experience glycogen and water weight shifts of up to 2 pounds per day even with no changes in your calorie intake or activity level.

Another contribution to the additional weight is probably muscle gain. I lifted weights two days ago. When you lift weights you produce micro tears in the muscles. Its takes a day or two for your muscles to repair the torn cells and build more cells to prepare for the next heavy work out.

These are good possible explanations for the 1 pound fluctuation. However, looking at my weight chart, I still think I'm at a stubborn plateau. I've been stuck in the range of 216-219 pounds for two weeks.

Meals:
Breakfast- 1.5 cup of Old Fashion Oatmeal sweetened with Splenda; slice of whole wheat toast, 4 oz. skim milk; coffee with creamer , Splenda and tspn cocoa; 3 walnuts, 10z Resvinatrol (antioxidant), 1 oz of Joint Care(collagen, MSM, chondroitin, and glucosamine), DHEA tablet, 1 fish oil capsule, Centrum Silver Vitamin with minerals.

Snack- 1/4 slice of apple. 6 oz. milk

Lunch-8 oz. barbecued pulled pork, baked beans, broccoli/cauliflower salad with ranch dressing. Iced tea with lemon and Sweet& low.

Snack - Pear , small vanilla malt (8 oz.)

Dinner- Turkey (3 oz)sandwich on whole wheat, slice of cheddar cheese (1oz) tspn miracle whip, 6 oz. skim milk

Snack- tspn peanut butter, 2 oz. red wine

Exercise:
1 hr. heavy workout with weights. Forgot my Forerunner 405 so I don't have log of my heartbeat.

No comments:

google-site-verification: google6c814d78054d23fc.html